Quick information about services:


Frequently Asked Questions

Waste management

1. Am I obligated to participate in organised waste transport?

According to the Waste Act, a local government is required to organise the transport of municipal waste within its administrative territory. Municipal waste generated by a household is collected and transported by a waste transport company, to which the city has granted the exclusive right to serve the waste transport area by way of a procurement procedure. All apartment associations and, in the absence of an association, the owners of the immovable on which the summer house, dwelling or business premises are situated, as well as the owners of the building or apartment as a movable, are automatically signed-up for organised waste transport.

2. Who will have to collect bio-waste separately from 1 June 2023?

All properties, regardless of the intended purpose of the property or the number of apartments, have the obligation to collect their kitchen and canteen waste into the container and hand it over to the waste transporter as of 1 June 2023.

By way of exception, properties with a detached house, a semi-detached house, a terraced house box, and a residential building with up to two apartments can apply for exemption from the storage obligation if they compost their kitchen and canteen waste on site in a composter closed on all sides and receive consent for composting from their city district government.

3. But what if I don’t have any bio-waste?

The collection of bio-waste is part of organised waste transport, and all registered immovables where mixed municipal waste is collected must also provide for the separate collection of bio-waste and its transfer to the transporter in a separate container. As an exception, residential buildings with up to two apartments may submit an application to the city district government for consent for composting bio-waste on site. In this case, there is no need to have a bio-waste container. You can submit a composting application here or send the application, along with a photograph of the composter, to the district government.

All registered immovables that have not received consent for composting are automatically subscribed to the bio-waste removal service, and the absence of a container will not exempt you from payment for the provision of the service.

In addition to food waste, bio-waste also includes garden and park waste, which can be placed in a bio-waste container to the extent that it does not exceed the carrying capacity of the container. Otherwise, it may break during emptying.

If there is little bio-waste, it is possible to use the bio-waste container and composter together with a neighbouring registered immovable. A common container may only be used for the collection of waste generated in apartment buildings and terraced houses with a common yard area or on adjacent registered immovables. The application form for a common container can be found here.

The shared use of a composter is permitted on the registered immovable of a semi-detached house with a common yard area, up to two terraced house boxes, or up to two adjacent detached houses. The application form for a shared composter can be found here.

If there is no separate collection of bio-waste on the registered immovable, the waste transport operator will automatically count you as having subscribed to the bio-waste transport service and the absence of a container will not exempt you from paying for the service.

4. Who can compost kitchen and canteen waste on their property instead of a container?

Kitchen and canteen waste can be composted in a closed composter by residents of a detached house, a semi-detached house, a terraced house box, and a residential building with up to two apartments, who have obtained the consent of their city district government.

5. I received a new contract that includes bio-waste management service, do I have to sign the contract?

When adding additional services to an existing contract or changing the schedule, the contract does not need to be signed again. Once the contract has been sent, the emptying will take place according to the new schedule.

Waste collection

1. How do I conclude a waste transport contract with you?

We kindly ask you to submit your application via the self-service environment of the Tallinn Waste Recycling Centre AS (TJT) at https://tallinnavedu.ee. Data for the contract can also be submitted in PDF format as an application, which must be filled in and sent to info@tallinnavedu.ee. A pre-filled waste transport contract will be sent to the e-mail specified in the application. The contract must be signed and sent back to us. A waste transport contract can also be concluded at the waste transport department of the TJT at Suur-Sõjamäe 29a, Tallinn. Office hours are Mon–Fri 8.15–17.

2. I want to order additional waste collection, what should I do? 

Please send your request to info@tallinnavedu.ee.

3. How to obtain an exemption from waste collection?

The exact terms and conditions of waste collection are set by the local government, so please contact the local government for an exemption. As a general rule, an exemption is granted for a property that is not occupied.


1. Where can I view my schedules and bills?

The contracting authority can view invoices, transport schedules, and contracts in the self-service environment www.tallinnavedu.ee. You can enter the self-service environment using your ID card or Mobile ID.

2. I have not received an invoice. What should I do?

If you have not received an invoice by the 10th day of the month following the billing period, please contact us by e-mail at info@tallinnavedu.ee or by phone at (+372) 609 6410 and (+372) 609 6530.

3. I want to order additional services, what do I need to do?

Please send your request to lisatellimused@tallinnavedu.ee.

4. How to change your data? 

Please send a letter with the data you wish to change to info@tallinnavedu.ee.

5. How to amend the contract?

Please send your request to info@tallinnavedu.ee.

6. I want to terminate the contract. What am I supposed to do?

Please send a free-form request to info@tallinnavedu.ee.

7. How and where can consents for composting be obtained?

The application can be submitted via the self-service portal https://evald.ee/tallinn/app/jaatmekaitlus. N.B. Be sure to select ‘Request composting’.

If it is not possible to use the self-service portal, a signed application with a photo of the composter must be submitted to the city district government.

N.B.: If you received a composter from Tallinn in September 2022, you do not need to apply for separate consent and you are already listed in the system.

8. Does the service take place at a specific time?

A specific time for emptying your waste container cannot be agreed upon. Waste transport may not be carried out during night rest from 22:00 to 6:00 and during the night before the day off from midnight to 7:00. The period of service is fixed in the waste management rules of the local government and in the customer contract.

9. I am unable to digitally fill in or sign documents. What am I supposed to do?

You can also contact us by phone or by visiting our waste transport department. Call us (+372) 609 6410 and (+372) 609 6530, or come to Suur-Sõjamäe 29a, Tallinn. Our office is open on weekdays from 8.15–17.00.